I’ve loved typography as long as I can remember. For those who don’t know, typography is the “style and appearance of printed matter”. Essentially, anything having to do with written language involves typography.
Words can be beautiful by themselves. Good typography is like a beautiful evening gown. Did you know you should care about typography? According to some estimates, 95 percent of the internet is written text. That’s A LOT of typography!
Just the other day, Alycia (our Communication Director) and I were working on a Business Card design. I wanted to update our font selection so we decided to peruse the Google Font Library. When all was said and done we added close to 200 new fonts to our library.
“Two hundred new fonts?!”
Yes! Isn’t it beautiful? Of course, your business or organization might not have a use for hundreds, but expanding your font library beyond the default selection is helpful for a few reasons.
- Stand out from the crowd with classy fonts
- Fonts can express ideas and emotions when used properly
- Certain default fonts, like “Comic Sans”, are frowned upon due to over use, especially in professional circles.
Important things to keep in mind:
- Don’t over do it! A typical poster will only use one or two fonts. If you’re using three, you better have a really, really good reason!
- Make sure the font fits the tone! Just because the font looks “neat” or “different” or “cool” doesn’t mean it will convey the right message to your audience. Be mindful.
- Be aware of the font source!!! There are many websites online which will trick you into downloading adware or viruses for “Free Fonts”.
- Be mindful of the license. We typically use open source license fonts because it allows us to use them freely. However, some fonts come with strict licensing which may limit how you use them.
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and try some new fonts!
Or maybe let us use some of ours? We design professional graphics for digital and print. Just to name a few of the functional art we make: Posters, Fliers, Logos, Social Media Graphics, Business Cards, Newsletters, and More!
Click here to see what we can design for you!